Browse our newest photos
About our image collection
Northland has partnered with the University of Pittsburgh to provide access to historic photographs of the North Hills area. You can search and browse these images using the Historic Pittsburgh website.
Check out the new Historic Pittsburgh Beta Site. Please note that not all of the content from the original site is included on the new beta site yet.
The core of the Northland Historical Image Collection is made up of more than 800 photographs from the Allegheny County Department of Public Works covering the municipalities of Bradford Woods Borough, Franklin Park Borough, Marshall Township, McCandless Township and Ross Township.
These photos cover the construction and upgrades of county roads beginning in 1919 in the North Hills as well as the construction of North Park. Also included are photographs from the McCandless/Northern Allegheny Heritage Center (formerly the North Allegheny History Museum) collection, the Franklin Park Borough collection and private collections from individuals, organizations and businesses in the North Hills area.
Road Show Presentations
If you haven’t been able to attend our Road Show Presentations that feature the images from the online collection, you can now view them online.
Ordering image reproductions
- Please use our Reproduction Request form to request a digital copy of the image/images you want from the Northland Public Library Adult Services Department at 412-366-8100 ext. 113 or e-mail: email@example.com.
Thanks to everyone who helped to create this local history resource for you, especially:
- Bill Connery, Allegheny County Department of Public Works
- Debby Rabold, Franklin Park Historian
- Krystal Mitchell
- Friends of North Park – in particular, Mary Bates and John Berckbickler
- Joe Bullick, North Allegheny History Museum
- Diane Holleran
- Michael Bolam and Aaron Brenner, University of Pittsburgh – Digital Research Library
…And everyone who has offered items from their private collections.